[mythtv-users] LVM2 Striping Suggestions...

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 18:34:07 UTC 2006

If these are new drives, I suspect that the lifetime of the drive is longer
than the lifetime of his currect mythtv install. Maybe if you've been
recycling the same drives through systems for the last ten years you can
expect them to die on you, but seriously, two new drives are going to last a
while.

RAID5 for a bunch of television shows is overkill. This isn't mission
critical data here, and the disks in all likelyhood are going to last at
least a few years. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had a drive fail
inside a desktop system (I've had a laptop drive fail when the laptop failed
to go to sleep when the lid closed and then went for a journey on the
subway, but those are different circumstances). I've been running four of my
drives for over five years now, and they still work fine. Although, at four
years, I did start mirroring the data on another set of drives.