[mythtv-users] LVM2 Striping Suggestions...

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 17:39:58 UTC 2006

On 9/23/06, Robin Smith <1canuck2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yikes! Having been burned by too many dead hard drives in my life, I
> would never consider this option... you are essentially double your
> chances of complete data loss.

I agree completely.  Either buy another drive and do RAID5, or mirror
the pair you have.  It might not happen today or tomorrow, but
eventually, you'll loose 500GB of data when ONE of your 250GB drives
fail.

As for throughput, consider that the average show (my average anyway -
I turn my settings up for better quality) is about 2.5 Gig.  That
works out to about 650K per second.  I'd figure you'd have to have
about 8 to 10 streams running at the same time before you'd start to
see problems.

My 0.02
--
Eric Ladner