[mythtv-users] Starting new setup, about the recording scheduler.

Bill Kirkpatrick william.kirkpatrick at verizon.net
Fri Sep 22 01:49:09 UTC 2006

Thanks for answering.  I know I need various numbers of capture cards.
The short form of the question is, i guess...

If I have 2 off air capture cards that share a rotor, would MythTV know
it COULD NOT use capture card 1 to get acceptable signal  on channels 2,
4, and 6 (even if card 1 may in fact report a "lock") while capture card
2 is already recording channel 57, because the rotor would be in the
wrong position?  Would it also know, as it is recording ch57, that it
COULD, concurrently, use capture card 1 to record channel 29 (but not 2,
4, or 6), because both channel 57 and 29 happen to be available from the
same rotor direction?

My sense from various reading is the system would schedule the first
recording at, say, noon on capture card 2.  By various magic it would
swing to rotor to, say, 270deg (ch 57 and 29) and dutifully start
recording ch57.  Fine.  Meanwhile, half an hour later and overlapping
the show on ch57 by 30 minutes, a second scheduled event comes due on
ch2.  Would it now allocate the second, inactive, card and, by various
magic, swing the rotor to 150deg(ch 2 only)?  Such a mid-recording rotor
swing would promptly destroy the active recording being made on ch57.

Now, assuming Myth is bright enough to know to lock out both cards 1 and
2 due to the rotor scheduling conflict.  Is it also bright enough to
figure out, and switch to recording, the desired content that was on ch2
also available on card 3 hooked into a Dish Network local programming
package? (Assuming, of course, the EPG is properly coded).