[mythtv-users] Moving data to new hardware

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 21 09:46:56 UTC 2006

On 09/21/06 05:34, Jann wrote:

> I would like to move my existing recordings to my new backend
> hardware. I found the procedure in the documentation, but I’m hoping I
> can upgrade from version .19 to .20 at the same time.
>
> On the new backend, I would like to:
>
> Install FC5
>
> Install Myth .20
>
> Import my .19 data
>
> Upgrade the frontend to .20
>
> Is this possible

Only if you import the entire 0.19 backup (
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5 ). The selective
import ( http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7 ) won't work.

Once you've done a complete restore (of the 0.19 database), run
mythtv-setup (to upgrade the 0.19 database), then exit mythtv-setup,
then do an full backup (of the 0.20 database), then drop the (0.20)
database, then run mc.sql (to create a new database), then run
mythtv-setup (to create all the tables/data for a new 0.20 database),
then exit mythtv-setup, then do the selective import of the backed-up
0.20 data.

Or, upgrade your existing 0.19 system to 0.20, then do a backup and do a
partial restore on the new hardware (after running mc.sql and mythtv-setup).

> or will I have trouble using a .19 database under .20 ?

Make sure you upgrade all backends and all frontends at the same time
(i.e. don't start up a 0.19 frontend when you have a 0.20 backend).

Mike