[mythtv-users] TV-Out to FX5200 migration

Martin Ravell mythtv at rave-tech.com.au
Thu Sep 21 06:53:52 UTC 2006

>On 09/17/06 06:32, Martin Ravell wrote:
>
>> I've just bitten the bullet and re-installed my Myth box by buying a
>> new hard drive and setting up from scratch with a brand new OS (FC5).
>> In addition to a new install of Myth (0.20 from the ATRPMs) I've opted
>> to use a GeForce FX5200 board instead of the PVR-350's TV-Out that I
>> had on my FC3 / 0.18 setup. Given that the 350 is falling out of
>> favour for playback I though that it would be good to make this move.
>> I also want to get MAME to work!
>>
>> Should I expect to get a similar level of quality in my video playback
>> on the fx5200 that I got on my PVR-350?
>>
>Once you configure it correctly, yes. (This may be easier said than done.)
>
>> I seem to be getting compression artefacts in my playback. There is
>> "tearing" which happens when a scene pans or where there is a lot of
>> movement.
>>
> That sounds more like interlacing than tearing. Tearing should never
> occur if you have Xv support (and, assuming your NVIDIA proprietary
> drivers are properly installed, you do).
>
> For interlacing, just enable one of the deinterlacing methods in the TV
> Playback section of frontend settings. I recommend trying them all and
> choosing the one you like best.
>

>> The machine is a P4 2.4 GHz Intel board and I'm seeing about 9% CPU
>> utilisation during playback.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest good settings for such a rig?
>>
>> Should I be using XvMC?
>>
> Definitely not necessary if all you're doing is standard definition.
>
>> If so do I need to switch to CVS and compile instead of using
>> the ATRPM's?
>>
> No.
>
>> I've tried various combinations of things in mythtvsetup and the setup
>> area within mythfrontend but without much joy.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a nice magic bullet for getting good quality
>> playback on this 5200 card?
>>
> Trial and (lots of) error.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post. It did indeed seem to be an issue with deinterlacing.
Once that was turned on the problem disappeared completely.

Now for some playing around with overscan in order to get rid of the small
black bars I have and my rig will be back to being as good as the PVR-350
Tv-Out on 0.18.

WAF is on the way back up!

Regards
Marty