[mythtv-users] Infamous yum upgrade screwed up my nvidia drivers...

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 11:24:28 UTC 2006

On 9/15/06, Trey Thompson <trey at verustech.com> wrote:

> OK, well, I didn't know this would hurt until after I did…  "Sir, please
> don't touch the hot plate…"
>

> Well, I was installing my new PVR-500, and one of the How-Tos said to do a
> 'yum upgrade'.  Well, this upgraded 146 packages or something, and now my
> nvidia drivers (which I only got working two days ago PERFECTLY with OpenGL
> and everything!) are hosed.  X wouldn't even start.
>

> I removed them, and re-added them through Axels RPMs, which is what I did
> originally, but I can't get them to work right.  The NVidia X Server
> Settings program only has 1 page (used to have 6 or 7, including OpenGL
> settings).  And the MythFrontEnd menus take about 30 seconds to draw/fade
> in.
>

> How can I completely kill/remove and re-install properly everything related
> to my video drivers?  OR…  What else is wrong?
>

> Thanks in advance!
>

> Trey

I use the livna repository to upate the nvidia drivers.
They keep their nvidia stuff up to date with the
changes in the kernel. When ever you load a new
kernel, you have to load the new nvidia drivers.

Someone mentioned running some script.... I just
run yun update and it automatically gets
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-1.0.8774-1.lvn5
kmod-nvidia-1.0.8774-1.2.6.17_1.2174_FC5
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-32bit-1.0.8774-1.lvn5
( that match the latest kernel installed on your system ( 8774 in
this case ) from the livna repostory.

jack