[mythtv-users] My Perennial Problems with XvMC

Norm Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 15 03:24:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 19:08 -0400, Dylan Semler wrote:
> On 9/14/06, Normand Dugas <normdugas at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>         I want to let everyone know that I have no problems viewing HD
>         with XVMC.  I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500, 1 Gig ram, Nvidia
>         FX5500. I had HD going smoothly for about 7 months but at some
>         point last summer, I experienced some issues after upgrading
>         either kernel, nvidia drivers, myth, I can't recall, but from
>         memory, here's what I checked before determining
>         that /etc/X11/XvMCConfig needed to be properly tweaked:
>
>         - Since I use Gentoo, ensured that xvmc was in my USE flags
>         - Made certain X was using the nvidia driver and not the
>         default nv driver in xorg.conf
>         - In an xterm session, checked my X server had xvmc enabled
>         (xdpyinfo and look for XVideoMotionCompensation in the list of
>         supported extensions
>         - Review /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors (or maybe did a startx
>         and redirected to a file)
>         - Review mythfrontend console window output.
>         - In one of these hunting expeditions, I saw an error about
>         xvmc libraries so I was now onto something.
>
>         In the end, I had just about everything set up (including
>         enabling XvMC in mythfrontend).  The only thing I did was to
>         create the file /etc/X11/XvMCConfig which contains one
>         line: /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1.  For good measure,
>         I rebooted my system just to make sure everything was properly
>         re-initialized.  Boom, I was able to view my HD recordings
>         perfectly.
>
>         I hope I help steer some of you in the right direction.  I
>         share your pain.
>
> Thanks for the details, unfortunately I'm still stuck.  I've played
> with the settings in nvidia-settings, I've played with openGL Vsync,
> I've recompiled to make sure everything es enabled, I'm using the
> XvMCW libs, I've put the full path to the libraries
> in /etc/X11/XvMCConfig.  All produce the exact same output.
>
> Maybe this is something we can take to the dev list?  It's working in
> mplayer so it seems like a myth bug.
>

> Just to see if anyone finds a correlation,
> OS: FC6T3 (although had the same problem on FC4)
> Kernel: 2.6.17-1.2630.fc6 (again, I've experienced this throughout
> many kernels)
> Driver: nvidia 8776
> Arch: P4 2.26 GHz i686
> GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6200 and 4200
> MythTV:  SVN 0.20.20060828-3
> I'm also running TwinView at the moment but have had this problem
> without it.

Have you verified that the xvmc library exists as typed?  As well, are
you sure that your X server is using the nvidia driver?  Have you
checked xdpyinfo?  I had to check and double check everything to because
I ended up with a typo somewhere in my setup.  As well, I had
accidentally stomped my xorg config so it reverted back to the default
"nv" driver.  When you launch mythfrontend from an xterm, do you see any
error when trying to view HD?  I'd like to help out if I can.
OS: 2.6.17-gentoo-r2
Driver: Nvidia 8762
Arch: i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
GPU: GeForce FX 5500
MythTV: 0.19_p10505
Pulling HD from Moto DCT6412 via firewire and getting analog via PVR350.
My VGA connection goes to a Samsung 26" LCD HDTV running at 1280x768?

Here's what my libXvMC info looks like:
pvrbox ~ # cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
/usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
pvrbox ~ # ls -l /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Sep 14
08:47 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.8762
pvrbox ~ # ls -l /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.8762
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 170732 Sep 14
08:47 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.8762

I'd check xdpyinfo but I'm not in front of that box right now, I'm ssh'd
in.  I'd give those a whirl.  Don't despair, I was able to get my setup
working, so I'm sure you will too.

Norm