[mythtv-users] My Perennial Problems with XvMC

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 23:08:28 UTC 2006

On 9/14/06, Normand Dugas <normdugas at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I want to let everyone know that I have no problems viewing HD with XVMC.
> I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500, 1 Gig ram, Nvidia FX5500. I had HD going
> smoothly for about 7 months but at some point last summer, I experienced
> some issues after upgrading either kernel, nvidia drivers, myth, I can't
> recall, but from memory, here's what I checked before determining that
> /etc/X11/XvMCConfig needed to be properly tweaked:
>
> - Since I use Gentoo, ensured that xvmc was in my USE flags
> - Made certain X was using the nvidia driver and not the default nv driver
> in xorg.conf
> - In an xterm session, checked my X server had xvmc enabled (xdpyinfo and
> look for XVideoMotionCompensation in the list of supported extensions
> - Review /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors (or maybe did a startx and
> redirected to a file)
> - Review mythfrontend console window output.
> - In one of these hunting expeditions, I saw an error about xvmc libraries
> so I was now onto something.
>
> In the end, I had just about everything set up (including enabling XvMC in
> mythfrontend).  The only thing I did was to create the file
> /etc/X11/XvMCConfig which contains one line:
> /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1.  For good measure, I rebooted my system
> just to make sure everything was properly re-initialized.  Boom, I was able
> to view my HD recordings perfectly.
>
> I hope I help steer some of you in the right direction.  I share your
> pain.

Thanks for the details, unfortunately I'm still stuck.  I've played with the
settings in nvidia-settings, I've played with openGL Vsync, I've recompiled
to make sure everything es enabled, I'm using the XvMCW libs, I've put the
full path to the libraries in /etc/X11/XvMCConfig.  All produce the exact
same output.

Maybe this is something we can take to the dev list?  It's working in
mplayer so it seems like a myth bug.

Just to see if anyone finds a correlation,
OS: FC6T3 (although had the same problem on FC4)
Kernel: 2.6.17-1.2630.fc6 (again, I've experienced this throughout many
kernels)
Driver: nvidia 8776
Arch: P4 2.26 GHz i686
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6200 and 4200
MythTV:  SVN 0.20.20060828-3
I'm also running TwinView at the moment but have had this problem without
it.