[mythtv-users] USB remote receiver

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Thu Sep 14 00:15:13 UTC 2006

Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> On 9/13/06, *gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)* <glandix at lloydnet.org
> <mailto:glandix at lloydnet.org>> wrote:
>     Mickey Chandler wrote:
>     > Has anyone else gotten a USB IR Receiver to work with lirc?
>     it's overpriced probably (i don't know, it came w/ my laptop), but i use
>     the MCE USB receiver (it's the Phillips eHome version, aka MCEv2 that

> You can often find these for around $40, so I consider it a pretty
> reasonable way to go.

The StreamZap can be had for around USD $25 - $35, and is supported
under lirc. I have a 0.19 box built with Jarod's MythTVology
instructions and its lirc package didn't support the StreamZap, but it
was simple to download the source and compile. I'm not using the
StreamZap remote -- I'm actually using a Hauppauge PVR-350 remote (more
often a OneForAll mimicking the Hauppauge remote), which required using
the lirc tools to capture the Hauppauge IR codes. It's been working fine
for quite a while. Also, the IR receiver looks nice and was easier to
place than the dongle that came with my PVR-350 card.

Bonus: the StreamZap receiver doesn't have a Microsoft logo. ;-)