[mythtv-users] quality

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Wed Sep 13 12:16:43 EDT 2006

From:           	Sergei Gerasenko <gerases at publicschoolworks.com>

> > Hmmm... Try capturing at a higher resolution setting like 640x480 or
> > even 720x480 and see if the blurriness improves. Yes, I know... you
>
> Do you remember where in setup it is? Or is it in the ivtv drivers
> somewhere?

Sorry, I don't remember. My guess would be in IVTV, but I haven't
touched my system since I originally set it up when .19 became
available. You can probably find it in the documentation somewhere.

> > Next, try a high-ish bitrate like 6000 or even 8000 (temporarily) and
>
> Did that and I think it improved a little. But watching from about 7
> feet, it really looks pretty good no matter the rate. But I think it did
> improve at 8000.

Be careful... we tend to find improvement where there is none. 8000
is more than 6000 so it MUST be better, right? Well maybe. Do one
more experiment: Set it ridiculously low just so that you see for
sure what it looks like when it's set too low.

> > At least by going through all this you'll have a better understanding
> > of how all these settings work than anyone can explain to you or that
> > you can read about, even if it doesn't fix the problem.
>
> Marvin, thanks for your insight. It really gives me something to work
> with. If I have a breakthrough, I'll definitely let you know!

My pleasure!

Marvin