[mythtv-users] Wiki Reminder: take notes when you upgrade

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 15:57:45 EDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 03:40:43PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 03:16:28PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > > 0.19-fixes -> 0.20 on Debian
> > > download tarballs
> > > extract
> > > run configure
> > > run qmake
> > > run make
> > > shutdown backend
> > > backup db
> > > run make install
> > > restart backend
> > >
> > > I'll leave writing the page to someone that encounters a problem.
> >
> > Showoff.  :-)
> And alas, I missed the *useful* question.  I don't see that you ran
> mythsetup in there.  Do we not need to do that before restarting
> backend?  Or is it automatic now?

I didn't. I just started the backend up and everything worked.  I also
managed to do so in between recordings, didn't miss a thing ;-) (good
work devs!)

I was running the 0.19-fixes branch and upgraded to 0.20 SVN a few
days after Isaac called for the freeze. But beyond this, the rest of
my process was that. No new dependencies needed to be filled and
everything compiled fine.

I also did this on my main frontend and my bedroom frontend, both of
which compiled fine, and run fine. Though I don't run remote backends
on them.

The Gentoo upgrade on the wiki is basically the same, he goes through
emerge, I compile "by hand", but his process is the same, and IIRC the
process to backup the db is already on the wiki.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -