[mythtv-users] Anyone using two HD cableboxes with firewire

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 14:13:52 UTC 2006

On 9/11/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> Allan Wilson <allanwilson at gmail.com> says:
> > I just received my second SA3250HD cable box from Charter and
> > plugged directly from the second cable box to an additional firewire
> > port, not daisy chaining. Test-mpeg2 works great and I can get video
> > from both and Myth sees both ports no problem. The only problem I am
> > having is the channel change program only seems to work with my new
> > box and now when I am on my old cable box it changes the channel on
> > my new box.
>
> I use two Motorola 6200s. Unlike 6200ch.c, sa3250ch.c--at least in the
> 0.19-fixes release--doesn't seem to have an option for specifying the
> node. A few suggestions:
>
> * Do you need to use sa3250ch.c to change channels? If you don't
>   specify a channel changing utility in mythtv-setup, can mythbackend
>   handle the changing on its own? (I use 6200ch.c only because it may
>   be slightly more reliable than mythbackend doing it itself, but am
>   not sure I can prove this.)
> * You might have to manually hardwire the two boxes' node numbers into
>   two different copies of the utility. (If you don't know how, I hope
>   someone else can step up.) Call them sa3250ch-1.c and sa3250ch-3.c,
>   then tell mythtv-setup to invoke each.
> * 0.20 might have fixed this; presumably we'll see soon.
>
> --
> Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US

You confirmed what I was thinking but not good enought to know for sure.
That the sa3250ch did not support specific nodes. I guess I will take a look
at the source code and see if I can see how to specify a particular node. If
anyone else out there is better with c and using the sa3250hd box and wants
to help I would be very grateful.

Allan