[mythtv-users] Paying one or some of the developers

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 7 19:29:47 UTC 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 1:05 PM, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 02:29:16PM -0400, Daniel Walton wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Joe Marcom wrote:
>>>  I would pay a considerable sum for a
>>> system that would install and run on any of my computers.  The
>>> magnitude
>>> of my request can be estimated by the fact that even the Editor-
>>> in-Chief
>>> of Linux Journal has commented on the difficulty of installing
>>> MythTV,
>> KnoppMyth is your friend :)
>
> That answer is both true and often useless.
>
> MythTV installs *great* when you're copying the entire operating
> system in which it has already been embedded by someone else.
> Adding MythTV to an existing system is often a bit more involved
> (ie: dependency hell and difficulties getting things like XvMC
> turned on).  If you do copy a Knoppix system onto your hard drive,
> be prepared for massive breakage the first time you upgrade any
> packages.

Myth should be installed on a dedicated system in any case, which
makes the pre-packaged systems such a good solution for most folks.
Even if you do run into trouble there are a lot of people with
essentially identical systems who can help you out.

At today's prices a dedicated box is definitely the way to go IMHO,
and a UPS is a must as well.