[mythtv-users] Paying one or some of the developers

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 7 17:55:07 UTC 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 11:07 AM, Joe Marcom wrote:
>
>>   The
>> magnitude
>> of my request can be estimated by the fact that even the Editor-in-
>> Chief
>> of Linux Journal has commented on the difficulty of installing
>> MythTV,
>> in the current (October) issue.  Linux Format magazine has posted a
>> few
>> similar comments; you folks who have a fully-functioning system are
>> indeed fortunate.  I envy you.

An earlier article in Linux Journal ("MythTV is No Myth"), before the
current editor, claimed that the installation was "simple and easy".

Of course it also claimed that Gentoo provided the easiest
installation, something that was definitely *NOT* true for me.

I think that if you are using standard equipment the main problem is
that some of the setup is not terribly intuitive until you have
worked with it for a while, at which point it begins to make sense,
and that a lot of people have systems that would work fine if they
only knew how to set them up.

Most of the other problems probably come from non-standard equipment
and/or non-standard system installations. Myth makes a lot of
assumptions as to how the underlying Linux system is set up.