[mythtv-users] HD recorded shows

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 13:26:34 UTC 2006

On 9/1/06, jack snodgrass <mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a couple of questions with reguards to HD recorded shows.
> My hdtv monitor only does 720p.
>
> 2) is there a way to only record only in 720p? I'm thinking that I can
> use less space if I record in a lower HD resolution.

not really. at least not in the way you want it to. HD stations
broadcast either 720p or 1080i. Not both. I believe 720p broadcasts
are done by FOX and ABC(which is 1080i in Dallas). All the other OTA
are broadcast in 1080i. All the FOX/ABC affiliated stations (ESPN/FOX
Sports) are also 720p (if your can grab these through your cable
company). I would not be surprised if in the next year FOX and ABC
start to push towards 1080i broadcasts since 1080p TV's are coming out
and their "excuse" for using 720p was that progressive is better or
sports, which doesn't matter now anyway because a 1080i native TV will
show the 720p broadcast as 1080i anyway, not many HDTV's do both 1080i
and 720p natively.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!