[mythtv-users] Dual USB stick problems

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Wed Sep 6 12:54:07 UTC 2006

After a lot of good work over the last few days I have now got either one of
my two Freecom usb dvb-t tuners to work correctly, and am proceeding to get
it working inside Mythtv so that I can have a mythtv-backed on my server.
With one working, my CPU loading does not seem particularly high.

However, if I plug the second tuner into a free usb port whilst the first
tuner is running tzap, this first tuner starts loosing sync. Even if neither
tuner is doing anything I am getting error messages in dmesg/syslog of -71
every few seconds, which appears to be errors reported by the usb driver of
protocol failures.

I am running on a 1.7Ghz Celeron and the usb 2.0 card is a no name PCI card
that I recently bought with 4 external and one internal usb sockets.  The
motherboard also has some (2?) usb (1.0) ports, but these are disabled in
the bios.  Nevertheless linux, via lspci, reports about 5 usb ports of which
only one is labeled usb 2.0.

Given the nature of the problem and with pure speculation, I suspect that my
processor is struggling with responding to some usb interrupts fast enough -
given that the CPU loading with the tuner installed still hardly gets above
a few percent, making it unlikely that it is some general lack of processor
power.

My questions to this list are

 - Have people had success with multiple usb dvb-t tuners with processors of
a similar sort of power to my 1.7Ghz Celeron?
 - Does the quality of the usb card have any effect - could I remove the
problems by either purchasing a better card, or by putting a hub between the
tuners and the card?
 - Are there any other steps I could take to either identify the source of
the problem or (better still) avoid it.

TIA

 --
Alan Chandler
alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
(via webmail - normally means I am not at my computer)