[mythtv-users] Bypassing PVR-350 audio for watching TV

Ian Macdonald ian at caliban.org
Wed Sep 6 11:15:38 UTC 2006

On Sat 02 Sep 2006 at 17:52:21 -0700, you wrote:

> You only need to pipe the output from the PVR-350 to your sound card if
> you're using the MPEG-2 decoder portion.  If you're using Xv to play
> videos (there is a toggle box saying something like, "Use MPEG decoder on
> PVR-350" - make sure this is disabled), then all sound output comes out of
> your sound card.  However, this requires more CPU power, since the MPEG-2
> stream is being decoded in software by MythTV and not by the PVR-350.

Thanks for the reply.

I've now got a (relatively) cheap Logitech Z-5450 set-up for the time
being, and have connected the Audio Out of my sound card to the 3.5 mm
stereo in of the Logitech. The PVR-350's Audio Out is feeding into the
sound card's Audio In, with the video still going via SCART to the TV.

I've unchecked the box telling MythTV to use the PVR-350 for audio, but
this only partially works, so I'm rather confused.

If I use MythMusic, the sound goes via the sound card to the Logitech
and all is well. Great. However, as soon as I watch TV (either live or a
recorded programme), the sound goes back to coming out of the TV
(via the relevant SCART pins, I presume), not out of the Logitech
amplifier.

Is it not possible to watch TV via the PVR-350's MPEG2 decoder, whilst
having the sound go via the sound card? Must one choose to have either
BOTH or NEITHER go via the PVR-350 for this to work with TV?

Thanks,

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Within a computer, natural language is
ian at caliban.org             | unnatural.