[mythtv-users] System audio via PVR-350

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 3 00:52:21 UTC 2006

> On Sat 02 Sep 2006 at 16:58:50 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> It depends on what kind of capture card you have.  If you're using an
>> MPEG-2 capture card (like a PVR-350), then no, you don't need another
>> sounds card.  If you're using a software capture card (one that uses the
>> bttv driver), and it doesn't support btaudio (few do), then you will.
>>
>> For more information, I redirect you to the excellent documentation on
>> the
>> MythTV website:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1
>> (See the sections specifically entitled, "Video Capture Device" and,
>> "Sound card", although it's all a good read.)
>
> Thanks. It contains the following text:
>
> The PVR-350 is unique amongst the Hauppauge PVR-x50 cards in that it
> also supports audio output, but you need to connect that audio output to
> something. There are two courses of action you may take:
>
> 1. Take the audio output from the PVR-350 and plug it into an input
>    on a sound card on your machine. You may then use MythTV's
>    internal audio controls.
>
> If I need to do that to capture audio via the sound card, then don't I
> have to do it for both tuner cards? Sorry if I'm being overly thick.
>
> Ian

I'm sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase.  That documentation
really needs to be updated.

You only need to pipe the output from the PVR-350 to your sound card if
you're using the MPEG-2 decoder portion.  If you're using Xv to play
videos (there is a toggle box saying something like, "Use MPEG decoder on
PVR-350" - make sure this is disabled), then all sound output comes out of
your sound card.  However, this requires more CPU power, since the MPEG-2
stream is being decoded in software by MythTV and not by the PVR-350.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com