[mythtv-users] Paying one or some of the developers

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 12:52:15 UTC 2006

> Hi Kevin,
> I've never escrowed the  6 or 7 asterisk bounties I've paid.
> It's a small community, all you need is a public list on the wikki.
> People don't weasel out of paying that.
>
> Cheers,

There's a big, big difference between Asterisk and Mythtv -- several
differences actually.

For one thing, many people are using Asterisk as a central part of
revenue generating activities, not least of whom is Digium. When it's
central to your business, the bounties are worthwile since they mean
more effective service and more potential revenue.

It also helps that Asterisk has an administrative stucture in place to
deal with bounties, which is not a simple matter. But as I said,
Asterisk has a corporate body behind it to handle these things while
Myth does not, and most likely could not without taking on some very
serious risks.

I don't think anyone is opposed to the developers getting rewards that
they so clearly deserve. But at the same time, I'd prefer Isaac to
spend his time programming rather than chasing down $10 pledges,
fretting over the accounting and tax documentation, and dealing with
otherwise wasteful administrative overhead. And I think this is what
Isaac and others have said in not so many words.