[mythtv-users] Paying one or some of the developers

James Kaufman jmk at kaufman.eden-prairie.mn.us
Mon Sep 4 23:45:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 03:20:54PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Monday 04 September 2006 3:05 pm, Dean Collins wrote:
> > Isaac,
> > I'm not the one who keeps editing the text and intentionally leaving
> > bits out.
>
> How so?  I've cut out things that are completely extraneous, is all.
>
> > As Digium recently took $13m in funding and MythTV is still pretty much
> > where it was 2 years ago when I first indicated an interest in it yes I
> > guess it is lacking a strong leadership team.
> >
> > As I've said before, it's not my project so it's not my place to direct
> > how things should be implemented but as an identifiable example there
> > are a lot of people making very good money from the Asterisk ecosystem,
> > admittedly because of it's target market it was always going to be
> > larger than MythTV but with the potential scope of the living room media
> > centre pc it's still nothing to be taken lightly.
>
> So you feel that the only measure of a project's success (or of having 'strong
> leadership') is making money?  That's rather strange, especially considering
> that I'm completely uninterested in making money off of Myth.
>
> Isaac

I'm reading a disconnect in this thread. I think the OP was simply
stating that the bounties could be larger than $25 if a large group
got interested in the new features and lots and lots of people each
contributed a small amount. That would help the developer feel s/he
wasn't getting ripped off for his/her efforts.

Also, I didn't read that "the only measore of a project's success...is
making money." I would say that MythTV is a great success. I've been
enjoying using it for about five months now.

--
Jim Kaufman
Linux Evangelist