[mythtv-users] Paying one or some of the developers

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 19:15:16 UTC 2006

> Isaac,
> I'm not the one who keeps editing the text and intentionally leaving
> bits out.
>
> As Digium recently took $13m in funding and MythTV is still pretty much
> where it was 2 years ago when I first indicated an interest in it yes I
> guess it is lacking a strong leadership team.
>
> As I've said before, it's not my project so it's not my place to direct
> how things should be implemented but as an identifiable example there
> are a lot of people making very good money from the Asterisk ecosystem,
> admittedly because of it's target market it was always going to be
> larger than MythTV but with the potential scope of the living room media
> centre pc it's still nothing to be taken lightly.

Off hand I cannot remember the name of the company who tried to start
bounties with MythTV, but my point is that they no longer exist (for
whatever reason).  It would seem that some business models (a bounty
system in this example) work for some outfits better than others
(certainly obvious in the world around us).  I am not the least bit
opposed (actually I'm in favor of) paying a developer (or group of
developers) to work on a specific feature of MythTV, but all you can
do is offer.  If a developer is interested in implementing your
feature, then my guess is your bounty will be accepted.  If not,
unless the price is really quite large, I'd imagine your feature will
not be top priority (without a patch submitted through trac of course
:) ).

So...

While I think the idea is good, and you seem to agree; that doesn't
mean that one of the core developers will agree and in the end, that's
really who our target audience (for bounties) is.  If we create the
bounties and they are ignored, well we understand that the bounty
system is not something the core developers are interested in
participating in.

-Chad