[mythtv-users] nvram-wakeup setup

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 01:08:49 UTC 2006

On 03/09/06, Cool Frood <aaranya+mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw that a similar question was asked on the list a long time ago
> but there wasn't any reply, so I'm trying again.  I'm trying to set up
> nvram-wakeup on a Pheonix BIOS.  The mobo has a VIA 8237 chipset.  I
> went through the guess-helper script to set it up.  However, when I
> set the wakeup time using nvram-wakeup, the wakeup time gets set
> correctly, but the RTC alarm shows up disabled in BIOS settings, even
> though it shows enabled when I read the nvram settings right after
> enabling the wakeup.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Some boards/BIOSs need a reboot before settings stick properly - have
you tried this?

> Also, sometimes I get a CMOS checksum failure because of the nvram
> changes.  This is annoying because it loads defaults into my BIOS
> setup.

It could be because nvram-wakeup is writing to some incorrect parts of
the CMOS memory when it sets the wakeup time. The BIOS probably
compares a checksum taken at boot before nvram is run and then
compares it after the new wakeup time has been set, and fails with the
checksum error if it notes a discrepancy.

There is another tool, wakeup_clock
(http://www.malloc.de/tools/wakeup_clock.html) which may work if you
continue to have problems with nvram-wakeup.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/