[mythtv-users] Need help setting up freecom usb DVB-T tuner

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Fri Sep 1 23:03:15 UTC 2006

On Friday 01 September 2006 05:54, Leo Kliger wrote:
> > > I know all about the trials of trying to set up MythTV while having to
> > > travel at the same time.

back home again now, so can do some physical things.

> Hi Alan,
> The fact that there is nothing in your DMESG output about the freecom
> hardware suggests either a hardware issue or kernel/modules just not
> recognising the device.
> But your kernel at 2.6.16 at should be fine.... Perhaps a Debian person
> on the list can comment about whether you need to recompile with certain
> options.

I think this might be a udev issue.  I can certainly see the devices (both of
them) in /sys, but I am not sure debian is doing anything we the plug/unplug

Using udevmonitor, you can certainly see the events, but my guess is that I
need a udev rule to create the /dev/dvb entries, and maybe even load a module
or two

> (Or you might like to consider Ubuntu for a Debian based alternative.)

This machine is used for a few other things.  I had considered an upgrade in
the past, but I came to the conclusion that it was more hassel than it was
worth, particularly as ubuntu does some things (like not having a root
account) that I would find inconvenient.

> You might find the following link of interest for USB based tuners.
> http://www.wi-bw.tfh-wildau.de/%7epboettch/home/index.php?site=dvb-usb
> Another thing to consider is whether USB port is supplying the required
> power?

I wondered that, but then again it is a dedicated pci card, and it can
certainly heat the tuners up - they have got quite warm.

> I would recommend that you try plugging the device in via a powered USB
> HUB...

Unfortunately don't have a usb2.0 one.
> Let us know how you go.

Alan Chandler