[mythtv-users] OT : Help! -- BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!

Paul Fine pfine at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 21:08:14 UTC 2006

Robin Hill wrote:
> On Tue Oct 31, 2006 at 01:29:46PM -0500, Paul Fine wrote:
>

>> Each time I boot the computer, it starts up fine.  I start the
>> vncserver.  Some time after, usually around 100 minutes later but the
>> last time it was 20 minutes after reboot, the vnc remote session becomes
>> unresponsive, and the direct display (my television through a FX5200
>> S-video connection) goes blank.  The computer is then locked up.  I
>> found the very scary  "BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!" message in
>> the /var/log/messages file when I rebooted.
>>
>> KeStallExecutionProcessor+0x9/0xc [ndiswrapper]  <f9d95bc2>
>>

> I'd guess this is your problem, and also why you're unlikely to get much
> help.  You've got a binary blob coded for a different operating system
> stuck in the middle of your system.  Have you tried the open-source WLAN
> drivers?  I used to have a Netgear card which worked perfectly well with
> those.
>
> Cheers,
>         Robin

Unfortunately, the Netgear card I am using is the WG311v3, which uses
the Marvell chipset.  This chipset is not supported by MadWifi.  They
recommend using ndiswrapper.   Is there another open source WLAN driver
project?

On the other hand, you have pointed out that ndiswrapper is being spewed
out in my logs.  The first thing I will do when I get home (actually
after my kids come down from there candy induced suger high and finally
get to sleep), is pull the wireless card and take out the ndiswrapper
module.  If that solves the crashes, at least I know where to look.

Thanks for you help,

--Paul