[mythtv-users] Greetings.... an introduction (probably long)

Ed Gatzke ed.gatzke.groups at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 14:02:50 UTC 2006

I have a pcHDTV 3000 card that seems to work great for ATSC for me.  I think
the newer 5000 cards are also supported.  These will also do QAM when you
get a new box.  I have heard you can just go ask for one, so you may think
about trading your box out.

I keep reading you need a 3.2 GHz p4 or better to do software
decompression.  I have a 3.2 P4 and it works mostly fine for me.  I suggest
getting a NVIDIA video card with XVMC support (but then you can't PIP).
XVMC hardware decompression for me is really smooth on playback of HD
stuff.  The only time I have problems using software is using PIP for HD and
SD content at the same time.

Not sure which nvidia board to suggest, I have an older 5200 something.
Look around and see what you can pick up that does xvmc.  Note some have big
fans and are loud.

BTW, you may watchh out on the Dell, they could be very loud.  CPU and box
fans can be very very loud, but building your own box can also be scary.