[mythtv-users] How to continue watching buffered show when recording starts?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sun Oct 29 16:42:16 UTC 2006

Don wrote:
> First, we love mythtv, so this is not a complaint.  My daughter and I
> both have it, and the her sister probably wants it.  However, there is
> one thing.  Here's the issue:
>
> Watch mythtv in live tv mode ->
> Pause mythtv to answer phone call (which happens a lot) ->
> Talk on phone for a long time (which also happens a lot) ->
> While on phone, a scheduled recording time happens.  The recording is
> not on the same channel, so the channel changes ->
> Return from phone call and the 20 minutes of show she expected to watch
> is gone.
>
> She expected to finish watching the first show, then continue directly
> into the recording, but the first show is gone.  Now she calls me to see
> how the first show ended!
>
> Is there a way to not loose the piece of buffered show?  Thanks for the
> help,
>
> Don
>
> PS - This is a standard feature on our ReplayTv box, so we're kind-of
> used to it

There is a checkbox in the settings for preferring LiveTV over
recordings which will prevent Myth from taking the recorder out from
under you but could have the side effect of missing a recorded show
because LiveTV is running.  Secondly, when you pause the show, press R
or select to record the in-progress show and it will keep the buffer and
set it as a "scheduled" show which will complete the recording even if
other things start or you leave LiveTV.

Kevin