[mythtv-users] Distro

Mark Paulus mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com
Fri Oct 27 16:33:50 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Wondering which distro is giving people the least frustrations. I
> considered doing KoppMyth, but is this something I can easily change/
> add to when required?
>
> Some background as to why I'm giving up on Fedora:
> I was running FC4 for a long time with no problem until one day LVM
> decided to trash my superblocks - yes, EVERY superblock on my disk.
> All that work is now gone. So I tried FC5 on a new disk. Ran into
> dependencies that couldn't be resolved. bind conflicted with some
> other package and kept trying to re-download the 600MB of packages
> every time I tried. After the 4th time of adding/removing packages to
> solve dependencies, I gave up. Then I couldn't get nvidia driver to
> load. No idea why. I was too frustrated to find out. So I go back to
> FC4 and haven't been able to get yum upgrade to finish after 2.5 days
> of trying. 403's, 404's, parser errors. Forget it. It's not worth it.

Personally, I use debian sarge (http://www.debian.org).  You can
download a 35MB Netinstall ISO Image to burn to CD.  Then boot and
install.  Christian Marillat has a repository that contains all the
Mythtv .debs and dependencies (ffmpeg, transcode, etc) at
http://www.debian-multimedia.org).

I pick up a 2.6.16 kernel from http://www.backports.org, since I'm using
a SIL3112 SATA controller, and the stock 2.6.8 kernel from sarge doesn't
seem to like it so well.

You can also get the stuff to make ivtv debianized packages from
http://www.hellion.org.

Most everything is stock this way.  I have to do a bit of customization
to mythtv because I use an air2pc card and the mythtv from
www.debian-multimedia.org doesn't recognize it.  A disconnect between
the 2.6.8 headers used in his packages and the 2.6.16 kernel I use.
But, even that is pretty automatic and straightforward.

This is, of course, all my $0.02 worth.  And as always, YMMV....

--
Mark Paulus
2424 Garden of the Gods Rd  | Phone:  v622-5578 / 719-535-5578