[mythtv-users] Distro

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 27 18:05:06 UTC 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>

>> I'd try and find out what happened to your system. An awful lot of
>> people are running FC4 and if it had an inherent problem such as you
>> describe I think we'd know about it by now. FC6 is now current, so
>> FC4 is pretty well tried and true. What makes you certain it was LVM
>> that trashed your disks ?
>
> When my superblock went bad, I did extensive google searches which
> pointed out a bug in LVM on certain kernels that caused my exact
> problem.

I've stayed away from LVM for several reasons. It adds another (in my
mind unnecessary) layer to the drive system and will significantly
slow things down on an older, slower system.

Software RAID seems like a better solution to me, hardware RAID is
even better but at a cost.

>> Knoppmyth is an "all in one" type Myth installation which includes
>> the base OS (Debian-based I believe) and Myth with all its
>> dependencies. MythDora is a similar installation based on FC. Both of
>> these try and take some of the pain out of installing Myth and I
>> think that both succeed pretty well, though not perfectly.
>
> I guess it's the "not perfectly" part I was wondering about.

The problems are generally with hardware that is not mainstream. If
you are using standard PC hardware and well-supported capture cards
MythDora and KnoppMyth are pretty solid.

>> Axel's famous guide pretty well walks you through installing Myth on
>> FC, which is what you may have done in the first place.
>
> You must mean Jarod Wilson's guide which is what I used to set up my
> system on FC4 in the first place. Again.. I'm not willing to risk
> another "lose everything and start from scratch" situation with
> Fedora.

Oooops, you're right of course, sorry Jarod.

*Any* system will eventually fail. The only way to avoid "starting
from scratch" is to back up the system. The more effort you put into
backing things up the less effort you will have to expend in re-
building it, the extreme case being a complete system mirror or two.

If you are "not willing to risk another lose everything..." you had
better stop playing with computers, or anything more complex than a
rock for that matter :-)