[mythtv-users] LVM Volume not mounting - Unknown Partition Error

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Fri Oct 27 13:24:42 UTC 2006

I've done something incredibly stupid and am wondering if there is any
way to recover.  I have a Myth system that's been acting up the last
month that I had planned on reinstalling.  I plugged in a spare hard
drive, unplugged my boot drive and went through an initial installation
of Fedora FC5.  The original system was an Ubuntu Breezy install.
During the Fedora installation it complained that it could not read my
partition information on /dev/sda and dev/sdb which is my LVM volume
with  an xfs file system.  I'm positive that I instructed it not to
continue looking at those hard drives.  When it came time to partition
the spare drive, only /dev/hda was shown.  I went through the install,
did a yum update and was prepared to call it an evening. I plugged my
original hard drive back in and went to boot my system.  To my horror
the LVM volume would not mount and /var/log/messages complained about an
unknown partition on both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. Pvdisplay shows no pe's
but displays the proper uuid's. Vgscan does not locate the volumes.
needless to say my wife is somewhat upset. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to proceed in recovery of the partition table and/or
the volume or is it pretty much gone?

Thanks.

--Joel Turner