[mythtv-users] Most reliable cable channel changer?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 13:31:01 UTC 2006

On 10/26/06, Nick Bartos <spam1001 at 2thebatcave.com> wrote:
> I have comcast and use the 6200ch program to change the channels on my HD
> receiver via firewire.  It is a bit annoying as several (maybe about 1 in
> 20) channel changing attempts fails (I am using the latest 1394 libs and
> 2.6.18 kernel, but I have used older versions over the past few months
> with the same results).  I have used the -v flag for adding more to the
> logs, but as far as the logs go the 6200ch program thinks it is changing
> the channel successfully.
> A few months ago I tried one of the comcast non-high def receivers that
> used a DB9 serial to change the channels (I don't remember the model, or
> exactly which program I used), but the failure rate was much higher
> (probably 50% or so).
> I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations on which receivers work
> best and which channel changers to use.  Everything is encoded via svideo
> (adaptec hardware mpeg2 encoders) so a high def receiver is really
> overkill, I only use them since they are more reliable than the other one
> I tested.
> Has anyone achieved 100% (or close) accuracy when changing channels on a
> cable box?  If so what cable box was it and what channel changer did you
> use?
> Any help is appreciated.  At first this didn't annoy me as much but now
> I'm missing a few shows that I really did want to watch.  It's _almost_
> enough to drive me to going back to a tivo.

when I had a DCT2524 I got 100% channel change over the DB9 connection.

My DCT6200 I get about 99%, I think in the few months I've had it I've
missed 2 shows due to incorrect channel change. What I do get though
is, that if Comcast resets the box, causing it to go to channel1,
6200ch can't change the channel. I also occasionally get the Music
menu thingy pop up (mostly on GolTV or FSE), which stays for about
30seconds before disappearing.

have you tried both 6200ch's channel changing methods?

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -