[mythtv-users] 1080p without XVMC - MPG and AVI support

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Wed Oct 25 18:42:04 UTC 2006

> wow, your right, I had the page open when I wrote the email! weird..

Very odd..  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

> RAM should be fast enough for Myth use. You'd be better spending the
> money on a faster processor if you wanted to spend more money... For
> the laptop drive you will need a converter. It may make sense to just
> buy a cheap, reliable and quiet harddrive. I believe the SpinPoint
> series is the recommended drive for this application.

I just wanted to make sure PC3200 was fast enough to run a the Sempron
3200+ chip, period.  Which I thought it was. I agree, more CPU would be
better.  As for the laptop drive, I already have an IDE converter, so I'm
set.

However, no one has yet suggested the best video card for my Athlon XP
2500+ box, since the FX5200 isn't cutting it for 1080p content.  Anyone?

Ben