[mythtv-users] How the heck do I pick a power supply???

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 20:37:49 UTC 2006

On 10/23/06, Dag Nygren <dag at newtech.fi> wrote:
> > I've had great luck with the Antec TruePower line, they're not the
> > quitest, but they are pretty darn quiet. The Seasonics are great too,
> > though a bit pricier, they do seem to make less noise which would make
> > them good for frontends.
>
> Hmm,
>
> I have had the Antec Truepower in our main server replaced
> 3 times during the last year. Twice because the 5V line slowly dropped
> under 4.75V and the third time he supply failed completely.
> The supply is quiet all right, but it doesn't seem to be able to do
> 24x7 operation.
>
> I now use it in a spare machine which is seldom used.

I have a TP 2.0 550W in my backend right now. I checked a few weeks
ago with my multimeter and with the RAID10 array and all four tuners
recording the 5V and 12V output to the motherboard and drives are all
within ATX specifications. Its been running for about 6mo now.
Previously, in my FE/BE I had the another TP 2.0 550W for about 9mo
with no issues and it now powers my standalone HD frontend with 3
media drives installed and I haven't had an issue.

I did have 1 Antec power supply die on me, but after doing the math I
realized I was over extending it, too much power draw for the rated
wattage, so I won't blame them for that =)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!