[mythtv-users] Will moving to DDR-400memory from DDR-333 improve performance?

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 18:17:27 UTC 2006

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-23-10 at 17:01 +0100, Paul Catchpole wrote:
>> What do you have your swappiness factor set to?
>
> I've never heard about this swappiness factor and after googling it,
> discover I don't have whatever patch(es) supply this /proc/swappiness
> file.

Should be in any 2.6.11 and up kernel(2.6.10 might have it but I can't
check) as /proc/sys/vm/swappiness.

As for Myth and its memory usage, you can get a MythTV combined FE/BE to
use under 200MB of RAM(including MySQL), but it requires far more effort
than the price of a 512MB stick of RAM. You basically have to strip
everything down to the bare minimum, compile everything that you can
with -0s and appropriate -march, *no* other exotic compile flags, strip
libraries to only include exactly what you need, tune MySQL so that it
practically only consumes enough memory to hold the executable, use the
smallest theme and make sure you disable all the memory hungry drawing
methods in Myth.

I suspect with even more effort you could probably get it near the 100MB
mark if you used uClibc, busybox, dropped the WM, stripped X down
further than I bothered and reduced Myth down to it's most basic DVR
functions.

Or you could just go and buy a stick of RAM.

Matt