[mythtv-users] Will movingto DDR-400memory from DDR-333 improve performance?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 23 18:20:19 UTC 2006

On 10/23/06 12:26, Paul Catchpole wrote:

>From: Brian J. Murrell
>
>>On Mon, 2006-23-10 at 17:01 +0100, Paul Catchpole wrote:
>>
>>>What do you have your swappiness factor set to?
>>
>>I've never heard about this swappiness factor and after googling it,
>>discover I don't have whatever patch(es) supply this /proc/swappiness
>>file.
>
>I believed it was all 2.6 kernels?

It is.

>Must be wrong...

IIRC, the patches made /proc/swappiness, when accepted into the kernel
tree, it became (as it should be) /proc/sys/vm/swappiness.

>It might well be a Gentoo-sources patch as opposed to the clean virgin
>source.

No, Gentoo just added the autoregulation patch to 2.6 kernels before
2.6.7 to make it so that any value you put in there would be overwritten
next time it recomputed the desired swappiness (i.e. it was impossible
to change it "permanently" as it was constantly being overwritten--in
its most current state, which, I think is post-Gentoo's use of it,
whenever there is pressure to swap; previously, more often--while the
system ran).

http://kerneltrap.org/node/1044
http://kerneltrap.org/node/1051

Mike