[mythtv-users] How the heck do I pick a power supply???

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 20:31:53 UTC 2006

On 10/21/06, Jon Boehm <jbpub at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm building a new Myth front/back box and could really use some help
> picking a power supply.  Preferable one that is quite, will meet my power
> needs now and into the future if I max out my case and motherboard, and
> won't break the bank.
>
> Here is my current build list
> Silverstone LC17 Case
>     This box is capable of holding 7x3.5" 2x5.25" with 7 slots
> P4 541 (3.2Ghz)
> Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard (6xSATA capable)
> 4x400G Seagate SATA drives
> DVD dual layer writer
> Nvidia 6200TC fanless
> HD-5500
> PVR-500
> 1G DDR2-533
>
> Bases on the recommendation here
> http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/howto/linux-htpc/power_supplies.html
> I'm thinking I need ~400W.  Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Jon,

The PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 SLI Dual PCI Express has six(6)
SATA power cables (even though you list only four SATA drives).  It
also should have enough capacity should you decide to add more drives,
memory, whatever.

My experience with the 510:  I have three of them installed in three
separate MythTV systems.  They weren't cheap, but on the other hand
they have never given any sign of a problem.  To me, that's
peace-of-mind, and worth it at (almost) any price.

--
MM