[mythtv-users] Mythfill and Log entry's...???

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 20 21:53:18 UTC 2006

On 10/20/06 16:09, A JM wrote:

>hmmm, this uses zap2it... and it takes a bit longer than a minute so
>I'm not sure what's going on with it?

On my system, I have:
mythfilldatabaseLastRunStart: 2006-10-19 08:57
mythfilldatabaseLastRunEnd: 2006-10-19 08:57

0 minutes!*

For DataDirect, it happens to record the start of the download and the
end of the download for each download.  Since DataDirect supports
grabbing one day at a time, you get the start and end time for
downloading one day's data.  That means it could potentially get set and
reset 14 times for a single mfdb run.

For non-DataDirect XMLTV users, it records the start time, runs an
external grabber (which may or may not support "--offset", but if so
gets only one day's data and does the set/reset thing), then records the
end time.  So, in both cases, it's simply "timing" the download--not the
actual population of the data.

For EIT-only or "No-grabber" sources, it just sets them to the exact
same time.*

In other words, providing the times to the end user is essentially
meaningless "brain" candy (i.e. like eye-candy, but for your brain, to
make it think it's getting lots of important data).  Since they get
reset multiple times throughout a single run of mfdb, they're not useful
measurements, and only someone who has dug through the source and who
knows the specific configuration of the particular MythTV system on
which it was run really knows how to interpret them.

>Just wondering if anyone else was seeing this problem or if it was
>specific to my box.

You still haven't convinced me there is a problem (looks like it's just
misinterpretation of the data).  Now, lack of data or incorrect data,
OTOH, would be something to worry about.

Mike

*Mine is 0 minutes because I have 2 sources, one is my DataDirect source
and the other--the second source--is a "No-grabber" source.  Therefore,
after the DataDirect download(s), the start/end times get reset to the
exact same time when mfdb populates the "No-grabber" source.