[mythtv-users] Video Memory -- How Much?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 19 17:11:30 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06 10:50, David Engel wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 06:26:59PM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 16:29 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>

>>>On 10/18/06 15:06, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>>You can get 1080p on a single-link DVI card using an LCD display and
>>>faking the timings, but only if you have a great-quality TMDS
>>>transmitter (which most video cards--even the expensive ones--don't).
>>>So, in reality, if using DVI, you should look for dual-link for 1080p
>>>output, as Brad said.
>>>

>>None of the nVidia chips have a good TMDS transmitter. If you want
>>an nVidia card with good single link DVI you need to get one which
>>doesn't use the internal TMDS transmitter but instead uses an external
>>chip for TMDS. This means you can't buy a cheap card, unless it is
>>a remaindered workstation card. A dual-link card using the on-chip
>>TMDS transmitters will usually be cheaper.
>>

>I'm confused.  There seems to be quite a few people on AVS Forum
>claiming to do 1080p from their HTPCs to new 1080p LCD TVs with just a
>DVI-HDMI cable.  Are they equally as confused as me or am I missing
>something?

Perhaps using a Type B (dual-link) HDMI cable versus a Type A
(single-link) HDMI cable?  If not, I'm sure they'd see better quality
from upgrading their video card/cabling.

You /can/ make it work on some display types (such as LCD), but it's
kind of like hooking a firetruck up to a garden hose.  It's just not the
right size pipe for the job.

I wrote up a few more details in
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/173600#173600 if
you're interested.