[mythtv-users] Video Memory -- How Much?

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Oct 19 12:24:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:06:38PM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Jon Boehm wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking at the nVidia 6200TC PCIE cards.  I see they come in 4
> > sizes 64,
> > 128, 256, and 512.  In the product description they say "on board
> > 128MB
> > Supporting 512MB."  I'm not sure if this implies its upgradeable to
> > 512MB or
> > if is capable of expanding its vmem to 512 by sharing system memory.
> >
> > Regardless, how much vmem do I need for a future proof 1080p display?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jon
>
> The important piece is if the card has dual-link DVI since it is
> required for 1080p bandwidth. Without a dual-link DVI card and cable,
> you won't get 1080p on any display.

	What about TV's with RGB inputs?

	Since my 55" DLP projection set had one, I just used that. It
wasn't an advertised feature and wasn't something that was critical
selection criterion. I just happened to be on the model I bought.

	I would be curious to know how the 1080p sets with RGB inputs
handle that. Mine allows you to feed 720p to it. (It's a 720p TV)