[mythtv-users] Video Memory -- How Much?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 18 20:29:24 UTC 2006

On 10/18/06 15:06, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>  On Oct 18, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Jon Boehm wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at the nVidia 6200TC PCIE cards. I see they come in 4
> > sizes 64, 128, 256, and 512. In the product description they say
> > "on board 128MB Supporting 512MB." I'm not sure if this implies
> > its upgradeable to 512MB or if is capable of expanding its vmem to
> > 512 by sharing system memory.
> >
> > Regardless, how much vmem do I need for a future proof 1080p
> > display?
>
>  The important piece is if the card has dual-link DVI since it is
>  required for 1080p bandwidth. Without a dual-link DVI card and cable,
>  you won't

good quality

>  get 1080p on any display.

You can get 1080p on a single-link DVI card using an LCD display and
faking the timings, but only if you have a great-quality TMDS
transmitter (which most video cards--even the expensive ones--don't).
So, in reality, if using DVI, you should look for dual-link for 1080p
output, as Brad said.

However, if using VGA (many 1080p displays won't take 1080p via
DVI--often because they're missing dual-link TMDS receivers), you'll be
fine regardless of the video card's DVI outputs.

Mike