[mythtv-users] Free preview

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 14:49:22 UTC 2006

On 10/18/06, Mark J. Small <msmall at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> My cable provider is having a free preview of the Movie Network (Eastern
> Canada) this weekend.  But it isn't a normal free preview where they
> unencrypt the stream(s) temporarily.  They are creating a separate channel
> and running a different (somewhat crummy) schedule from the real feeds.  I
> seriously doubt that zap2it will provide program data for this preview.
>
> Is there any way that I can temporarily add channel one to my lineup with no
> scheduling data.  I wouldn't mind using manual recordings to choose the
> recording times.  The main thing is to convince mythtv that it can tell my
> digital cable stbs that they can tune to channel 1 using my ir blasters.
>
> I am still using mythtv 0.19, if this makes a difference.

First thing that comes to mind is:

Run mythtv-setup (or mythtvsetup), select Channel editor.
Then, define a new channel using the channel number
provided (we hope) by the cable company.  You can
pick anything you want for Callsign and Name, but you
should pick the same Video Source that your current
cable channels have.

A caution here: I'm just guessing, I don't have cable.
But I do have PVR-x50 cards for which I have defined
channels, which allows recording from the S-Video inputs.

I hope you are able to set something up to record the
Free preview.

--
MM