[mythtv-users] Suggested Recording Profiles AND Transcode settings?

Ackster ackster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 16:20:03 UTC 2006

I've done list searches, but still can't find the data I need, so now
I'm asking the questions...

So this past week I reinstalled my Myth box onto a new larger disks (the
old WD has S.M.A.R.T. alerts now), and in the process I went from 18.0
to 20.0, which is a joyous event.  Now I'm confronted with new recording
and transcode options, and I don't know what to set.

First, I have two HD3000 cards, and one HD5000, and first and foremost I
want the full stream to be recorded natively, but I notice that right
now the recordings end up as .mpg instead of the old way I was used to,
as .nuv .  I think my recording profile is set to Auto, maybe that's not
the best to meet my needs.  Anyone has suggestions?

Second, once I have these recordings, SOME of them I'd like to convert
from the full HDTV res to a MPEG4 recording of roughly 700 MB so that I
can save space.  I've seen HD recordings of this size, any they are
plenty decent to be display even on my TV, so that seems the best
compromise.  Suggested settings for the transcode?

Thanks in advance to all who read/respond.
-Ackster