[mythtv-users] PAL AND NTSC Supported Tuner

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 16 22:57:12 UTC 2006

On Oct 16, 2006, at 4:27 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> FYI A $10K device would probably do a better job, since
> we don't do any interlaced->interlaced scaling, only
> interlaced->progressive->interlaced scaling, which looses
> some information. If the source was originally a movie
> however, MythTV's PAL->NTSC should look very good and
> NTSC->PAL should look good as well if you use the ivtc
> deinterlacer.

The $10K devices were designed to make sure the resulting output met
broadcast standards, back when there were such things. Problems like
blanking width too wide used to result in a fine from the FCC, but I
think you can get away with the uncorrected output of a $200 VHS
camcorder fed directly into a transmitter these days :-)

They never really eliminated the rules, they just eliminated any
budget to enforce them, which amounts to the same thing in the end.