[mythtv-users] Multiple LIRC (serial) transmitters on FC5

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Oct 13 18:31:52 UTC 2006

At 9:25 AM -0300 10/13/06, Mark J. Small wrote:
>What I did was to copy the entire lirc_serial module and create a second
>module that I called lirc_serial1.  I found (using grep) all instances of
>serial in the code and changed them to serial1.  I also had to fiddle with
>the Makefile a bit to be sure both modules were built.

Newer versions can handle this without the need to modify the source
code. However, I don't do this myself, so I'd be afraid of getting
something wrong if I tried to guess what the necessary steps are.
Hopefully someone else will chime in before too long.

>As for isolating the transmitters and receivers from each other, I used egg
>carton segments to cover over the IR receivers on my STBs.  I can send a
>picture if you like.

Personally, I hard-wired into the IR receivers of my Dish boxes and
created an opto-isolated interface. That way I don't have to worry
about the ugliness factor or interference. (Instead, I just have to
worry about other things taking too much CPU time away from LIRC--but
that's another story.)