[mythtv-users] Multiple LIRC (serial) transmitters on FC5

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Fri Oct 13 12:25:34 UTC 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 07:29, Razza wrote:
> Just to clear up, the concept is to control two UK sky digiboxes - not
> sure you can change/shift the remote codes on these.
> I guess one of the issues I face is that I built from Jarod's guide,
> thus using yum packages - so may have to go for a complete build.
> Thanks very much for the links, I will take a look through. If anyone
> does have config files, they would be very much appreciated ;o)
>
> > On 12/10/06, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > Using Jarods guide I have lirc working fine on (either) of my two
> > > serial ports, driving a homebrew serial transmitter, I cant seem to
> > > get lirc to drive two transmitters (one on each com port). I have
> > > done some googling and an unable to find information precise enough
> > > to achieve this, is anyone else doing this on FC5? and more
> > > importantly be able to share their config files - /etc/modprobe.conf
> > > /etc/systemconfig/lircd
> > > /etc/systemconfig/modules/lirc.modules
> >
> > Silly question but why 2?
> >
> > I'm using one instance of lircd on a homebrew transmitter with 3 IR
> > LEDs on it - one for the STB, one for the TV and one for the theatre
> > amp. The codes don't overlap so no problem there. If you are using 2
> > STB then is there an option to set an alternate code set on one of
> > them and just use 2 LEDs in series as I've done?
>
> If you cannot use different remote codesets for both boxes, and need to
> use 2 separate serial transmitters, you may need to build 2 independent
> installations of LIRC, as LIRC previously would not work when 2 separate
> devices needed to use the same kernel module (lirc_serial in this case).
>
> I think it is now possible (haven't done this personally but have seen
> write-ups) to run 2 instances of lircd (one per device) from the same
> installation of LIRC, which simplifies things no end. I can't say 100%
> that this works though, as I've always built a separate instance of LIRC
> when faced with this situation. I'm sure there was a link to such a
> write-up on the MythTV Wiki, but I can't see the link anymore:
>
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV
>
> Building a separate installation of LIRC:
> http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_v
> ia_Modified_LIRC.html
>
> Nick

I've got two serial transmitters working, and they've been going nicely for
nearly two years now.

What I did was to copy the entire lirc_serial module and create a second
module that I called lirc_serial1.  I found (using grep) all instances of
serial in the code and changed them to serial1.  I also had to fiddle with
the Makefile a bit to be sure both modules were built.

This was in early 2005 using the 0.7 lirc drivers.  I have no idea if newer
lirc drivers would have changed things.

If you want, I can send you my entire lirc driver tree.

As for isolating the transmitters and receivers from each other, I used egg
carton segments to cover over the IR receivers on my STBs.  I can send a
picture if you like.

Mark