[mythtv-users] UPnP and the D-Line DSM-520 Media Player

Brent Borghese mythtv at bborghese.com
Tue Oct 10 01:42:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 17:04 -0700, Brian Steele wrote:
> On 10/8/06, Brent Borghese <mythtv at bborghese.com> wrote:
> > I just upgraded my Mythtv to .20 and tested it with my DSM-520, it works
> > a lot better than I thought it would.
> >
> > 3.  I want to do hi-def but my 500Mhz Frontend will not cut it.
> >     A new frontend will cost $300 to $400, and I still have problems
> >     1 and 2, and Video cards do not have HDMI ports.
> >     The DSM-520 says it does HD over its HDMI and Component ports.
> >     and its $200.
>

> Have you tested playing back HD video with the DSM-520?  I was looking
> into this option as well but I'm very concerned by the information in
> the manual about the limitations on MPEG-2 video.  I believe they
> specify that the max bitrate for video playback is 8Mbps, which is
> lower than most 720p and 1080i broadcasts.

No I have not tested it with HD yet.  I saw that 8Mbps number too.

But, I would think, if I was using the HDMI port and the data file is in
a MPEG2 1080i format, the box should just pass the data to the HDMI
port.  No encoding or re-encoding.

The only time the bandwidth would come in to play is the up or down
converting (1080i -> 720p, 480p -> 1080i, etc.. )

I should have my HD TV card in a week and I will do some testing.

Brent