[mythtv-users] UPnP and the D-Line DSM-520 Media Player

Brent Borghese mythtv at bborghese.com
Mon Oct 9 02:09:11 UTC 2006

I just upgraded my Mythtv to .20 and tested it with my DSM-520, it works
a lot better than I thought it would.

The Media Player is in no way a replacement for a Myth Frontend but it
does have a few things that I can not seem to get working or working
well on a Computer connected to a TV.

1.  Computers have FAN's.  The DSM-520 does not.  This means that
    it is very quiet, no fan, no hard disk noise.
2.  A real TV out(HDMI, Component, S-Video, etc..), my video from
    my TV out on my Frontend looks good, but not great.
    The DSM-520 looks great.
3.  I want to do hi-def but my 500Mhz Frontend will not cut it.
    A new frontend will cost $300 to $400, and I still have problems
    1 and 2, and Video cards do not have HDMI ports.
    The DSM-520 says it does HD over its HDMI and Component ports.
    and its $200.

Right now the UPnP support in Myth looks like it does TV and Music,
with .20 I could only get recorded TV to play, I updated to the current
SVN and TV stopped working and music started working. :(

I have been looking in to this UPnP, I think in a year or so all audio
and video devices will support it.   I think Intel has done something
right.

Brent