[mythtv-users] xorg.conf question

Nathan Allworth dittobox at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 00:29:33 UTC 2006

Andrew Davis wrote:
> I've been attempting to hack out an xorg.conf by hand but keep hitting
> one roadblock or another. I'm listing below what I think is the proper
> format... could someone tell me if I'm correct?
>
> The "ServerLayout" defines one (or more) "Screens" as well as the
> keyboard and mouse...
>
> A "Screen" is a combination of a "Device" and a "Monitor"...
>
> A "Monitor" is just that... an LCD, CRT, TV, projector, etc...
>
> A "Device" is a video card...
>
> Am I correct so far? If so, then...
>
> A "Device" (a video card") can have multiple output ports, so while a
> "Screen" is a combination/definition of a "Device" and a "Monitor", that
> means you can define, for example, two "Screens" that could call the
> same "Device", but have different "Monitor" 's. However, since the
> different output ports typically have different options and
> capabilities, this wouldn't necessarily work. You would define a
> "Screen" as using "MonitorA" and "DeviceA" with options set for MonitorA
> in a "Monitor" section (such as HorizSync and VertRefresh") and the same
> for a "Device" (such as "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"). However, its in the
> "Screen" section that you define resolutions, not in the "Monitor"
> section... presumably because the resolution capabilities are made up of
> the capabilities of both the "Monitor" and the "Device"???
>
> Am I still on track???

Yeah, pretty much.

I've never written an xorg.conf myself, I've only hacked through and
re-written one that'd I've used on multiple computers for a few years now.

I've attached my fully commented and annotated xorg.conf, so hopefully
you can "grok" it a little more.

The reason I've let a config programs write one for my is that I find it
easier to work with a document that's already been created, that way I
have a basic structure. I don't work with xorg.conf's enough to really
have to memorize their structure and any specific little bits like
monitor options and font locations.

I hope my xorg.conf can help you out some, if it doesn't or you have any
specific xorg startup errors post them and you config and we can try to
work through it.

__
Nathan