[mythtv-users] backend hardware recommendations

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Oct 5 13:55:17 UTC 2006

I think the time has come to bite the bullet and get some new hardware
for my backend....

I had to reboot the server and two of the IDE harddrives refused to come
up; there's resets on the SCSI bus, and it's still running FC2.... So
it's time.

Can someone recommend a backend platform?

I am looking specifically for energy efficient solutions, something with
CPU throttling and a relatively small number of hard drives.  Ideally I
want a dual CPU (or dual core), I'm not wedded to AMD or Intel.

The platform will also act as a web server which generates most of the
SQL usage, but still, even with 1 GHz CPUs the usage is often near
idle.  The only time it redlines is when transcoding; it takes about 4
hours to transcode 1 hour of myth recordings with 1 CPU pegged at 100%.

Lots of PCI slots.  I use a PVR 150 and a HD3000; I have a BT878-based
tuner that I could throw in there as well if I had the CPU horsepower.

And, of course, I need gobs and gobs of cheap hard drive space.  I've
used SCSI software RAID for the OS and SQL partitions but I'm not sure
if that is necessary with the new SATA.

--Yan