[mythtv-users] Wishlist feature for adding a hard drive

drbob drbob at gmx.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 22:53:44 UTC 2006

Mark J. Small wrote:
> This got me to thinking.  Wouldn't it be nice if mythtv had the option of
> multiple storage drives/directories?  Then it could do a sort of load
> balancing between drives.  This would be most effective if the two drives
> were on different cables, at least for PATA.
Someone has written a patch that does this - it's not finished yet but
it's intended to go into the 0.21 version: see
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1744

However since the latest linux kernels support dynamic expansion of a
raid5 array, I don't see much need for this for the scenarios you
describe.See: http://scotgate.org/?p=107 and
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/3/20/105

If for some reason you can't upgrade to the latest kernel then there are
ways to create an LVM on RAID that allows adding a drive to the raid
array without needing to completely backup and start again. See
http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=169386&cid=14117414

Either of these methods gives the data security of raid and the ability
to expand storage..