[mythtv-users] Wishlist feature for adding a hard drive

Andrew Davis andrew at nccomp.com
Wed Oct 4 22:03:03 UTC 2006

Thom Paine wrote:
> I am in the process of switching out my LVM array for a big fat raid5
> array. Slowly purchasing drives until I can get something to
> accomodate my 1.8TB LVM.
Here's a cheaper solution (note: not the cheapest, but a cheaper one)...
buy yourself something like a 1TB external LaCie drive and take out the
drives. The last one I bought had 4x250GB IDE drives. More current ones
have 4x300GB or 4x500Gb SATA drives. Often the large, external solutions
with something like 4x??? drives are cheaper than buying four drives
individually. Plus you can recycle your older drives (of the same size)
into the external chassis... in my case (for something else, not my Myth
box), I pulled out the 4x250 IDE drives and made a s/w RAID5 in linux,
then took 4x80GB IDEs and put them back into the chassis and got an
external storage box of just under 320Gb...

Of course, watching for deals at NewEgg and Outpost are good solutions
too. They just tend to limit the quantities of identical drives...